1) In Korean, men call their sweethearts by their first name + ya.
………..So Donny would call his sweetheart Aya, “Aya Ya”.
2) In Korean, “da” means “I am”.
………..So maybe when Aya met Donny for the first time, she said “Aya Da”.
3) In Japan, men call their sweethearts by their first name + chan.
……….So Donny could possibly call Aya, “Aya Chan”. Cute!
4) In Japan, girls call their sweethearts by their first name + kun.
……….So Aya might say to Donny, “Donny Kun”. So sweet!
5) Derek tweeted BoA, calling her “BoiYa”, but BoA corrected him.
……….She said it’s “BoAya”. It probably just sounded that way to Derek.
6) BoA means: graceful, pure treasure. 寶雅(Bo-Ah: Given name), 寶(Bo) is “treasure”, 雅(A) is “elegant” or “graceful” or “pure”.
7) In case you’re wondering, BoA is not a stage name; it is BoA’s real name.
8) There are many babies named BoA in Korea, born after BoA’s debut. Before that time, BoA was a very rare name.
9) In many Asian countries, a person’s sir name is first, followed by the given name. BoA Kwon is Kwon BoA in Korea.
10) Many Koreans’ names are from Chinese characters.
……..BoA’s characters are: 權 寶雅. 權 (Kwon) 寶 (Bo) 寶 (The A is pronounced “Ah”)
11) Japanese has two forms of phonetic writing, Hiragana and Katakana.
……….Most writing is done in a mixture of Hiragana and Kanji (Chinese characters.)
12) Katakana is used, instead of Hiragana, for the writing of words from foreign languages.
13) Kwon BoA’s “Katakana” characters are クォン・ボア.
………..Pronunciation is クォン(Kwon) ボ(Bo)ア(Ah).
14) BoA Kwon in “Katakana” Japanese characters is “クォンボーああ”.
………..Pronunciation is Quohn bo-AH.
15) Derek Hough in “Katakana” Japanese characters is “デレクハフ”.
……….His name is pronounced De-reek HAH-fu.
16) Hangul is a Korean writing system, where each block represents a syllable and tells you how to pronounce the syllable. The symbols represent actual sounds, not words like in Chinese characters.
17) Derek Hough in “Hangul” Korean characters is “데릭허프”
……….His name is pronounced DE-reek HU-pu.
18) BoA Kwon in “Hangul” Korean characters is “권 보 아”.
……….Her name is pronounced Qun BO-ah.